Saturday 2 February 2013

Laura Michelle Photography






My name is Laura Michelle Power and I am an alternative wedding photographer from Bristol.

I am a big believer in nostalgia and holding onto that specialness that photography once had. I also believe in making great photographs. Through the use of both digital and analogue I love to help couple's remember their day with that warm fuzzy feeling & plenty of humor!



Creatively photographing in an unobtrusive and friendly way is so important to my style. I want my couple to feel completely comfortable with me and love getting to know them through the whole wedding process.



The most amazing thing about doing what I do is that I get to meet so many individuals! Every single one of them is so unique and quirky in there own way! With every mother of the bride who looks at me through proud tears or Grandad, who holds my hand and thanks me for being there... oh my god, I am just so lucky. To be welcomed like part of the family to this celebration and document the experience with my camera, is incredible.



I have been photographing for ten years, it all began with studying black and white film photography at college. Digital wasn't something I was even aware of at that time! So it was quite a slow process, developing negatives in my bathroom and spending an entire day hand printing one perfect black and white photograph. It sounds crazy now but those were some of the best years of my life! You really had to consider every click of the shutter, you didn't care that your clothes smelled like darkroom chemicals or that you hadn't seen daylight in days - all that mattered was the art of making great photographs. Those days gave me invaluable skills that I feel really help the way I photograph today.



It was during studying for my Photographic Art Degree that I shot my first ever wedding with a friend. It felt like a disaster - the stress & the responsibility was insane but seeing those images made me realise that this was what I wanted to do! Wedding photography allowed me to combine my love for documentary candids with traditional portraiture and a little editorial fashion as well! This is the great thing about current wedding photography - you can really get creative!



It’s such an exciting time to be getting married right now! Weddings can be so different & with so many suppliers offering alternative's - you can do pretty much anything you want. I absolutely love working with imaginative & creative couple's, who really want to have fun on their wedding day and who take control and make their wedding their own. That’s why wedding fairs like this are so awesome. It presents so many options to brides and can help give them a direction or theme.

1 comment: